Valley pool lies in the heart of the Cambridgeshire chalklands. It was first dug for it's chalk marl in 1888. By 1903 it had four dry process bottle kilns. It's total production of clinker was 196,000 tonnes. This was extracted, loaded into 'Jubilee wagons' and taken to the nearby railway siding for transport. Some of the 'Jubilee wagons' are still on the bottom of the lake. By 1934 the pit had closed and in the following years it flooded.
The first carp stocked were in the 1960 with later stockings in 1970 and 1980. Some of these original carp are still left. A more recent stocking of scaley mirrors and golden commons has added another thirty fish.